Monday, June 11, 2012

Hawk Mountain

Well Saturday my mom, Tehya and I went with my brother and Christine to Hawk Mountain in Waterford, ME. Tehya had sooo much fun. She brought herself a picnic and did really well carrying her lunchbox all the way up, and I pretty much pried it out of her hands to carry it back for her.

She put these really frilly hairclips in her hair before we left, against my will, lol, so that is all HER doing, hehe. :) I really need to upgrade my P&S or start bringing my SLR with me again. This used to be a great camera but it is getting old and the picture quality is going WAY down. The thing with my SLR though is I hate being restricted to to my 50mm (although a great lens) and I like the versatility of compactness of the Powershot.

We had a big shoe issue right before we left. Couldn't find her sneakers, she hated socks with Crocs "my socks are crinkled in my Crocs!", lol, and her Sketchers were too small. So, being told the trail was very easy for kids I let her go walking in Crocs, the only shoes we could find.

Just starting out.

































The crew, minus me.



















At first she was all like eeew my feet are dirty and then after a brief few minutes I couldn't keep her out of the puddles. Stomped through them all. It is not always this wet but we have had down pouring rain most of the last couple weeks.
She likes being the leader. 


































I think I had bunny ears behind my head, the first photo, as always, she was very serious.



















She had no fear of the edges. She kept wanting a closer look. Then we had to hold her closer to throw a rock over the ledge to hear how long the drop was. She is a dare devil. 

































Almost to the very top. See? Still has her lunch.

































 Time to pick up the daredevil, she has no fear of heights. My mom is, she freaked out. I don't mind heights so much. There is other things I am much more afraid of.

































 My other camera would have been great right about now.
 I said, "show me your scared face". Looks more like her mean face, lol.
 Headed back. Brandon & Christine. The rest of us are headed back around the corner so Tehya can have her picnic. Oh, I think 30-35 minutes to get to top. Walking a distracted 5 year olds speed, so it is just a short hike.
 There was one small patch on the ground with about a half a dozen leaves that looked just like goldfish. Here Tehya pulled out a banana as she sat on a rock and saved the rest for later because Brandon was rushing us. ;P
 Sneak attack. She was pretty fascinated with this rock going up and down.

































Splashing rocks was a big hit on the walk back.
 Loves those feet in the puddles. At least the puddles were good for washing mud off her feet and legs.




















Then today, Sunday, we didn't do too much. Walked a short ways, had another picnic on the lawn of the Police/Fire Department. The fountain wasn't running but we found shade by a tree.She is loving picnics this year. We also cleaned the front yard when we returned and played in the water hose.

1 comment:

Urban Earthworm said...

Looks like such a great hike! That goldfish leaf is neat!

I love the puddle pics.

I want to go hiking. beautiful pics.